Monday 23 January 2012

Clutch Delay Valve - The hidden enemy in your BMW

As the summer months came to an end I noticed the car juddered when pulling away. Going by previous experience I put this down to oil on the clutch, but after doing some digging I found that my car was fitted with a Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) which had partly failed. A very common ailment.

For those who are unaware, the CDV slows the clutch engagement by restricting the flow of clutch fluid, which helps make pulling away and gear changes smoother. This sounds great to most people but it makes the clutch feel numb and removes control from the driver, not to mention wearing out the clutch quicker.

Luckily I came across a great website which describes the modification and how it can be done at home for free (I opted to buy a new valve for £6 from BMW). In essence the modification removes the inside of the valve opening a bigger hole to allow the free flow of fluids.
http://www.billswebspace.com/BMWCDVMod.htm



The result, no more judder and I can actually feel the clutch now! I am once again a happy man.

6 comments:

  1. I have a judder at pull off in cold weather on my 320d E92 and will be trying the same if it is that simple!It is very annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This car is stunning... i dont have one myself but this is interesting stuff..!! followed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I solved the clutch judder by a remap and slightly upping the idle speed, as an addition I will do the clutch valve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Its actually amazing paragraph, I have
    got much clear idea on the topic of from this post.


    Review my website - Gafasč½Oakley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi do you know the BMW part number for this CDV please??

    Thanks for the great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heya this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually
    code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding
    experience so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.
    Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    My blog post :: keratocone

    ReplyDelete